Brian Russel Wants YOU to Support Susan G. Komen for the Cure! [CHARITY CHALLENGE]
Everyone knows someone who has either been affected or diagnosed with breast cancer — mothers, grandmothers, aunts, sisters, friends…the list goes on and on. And that’s why most of us also know of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the global leader of the breast cancer movement and the world’s largest source of non-profit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer.
Since 1982, Komen for the Cure has played a critical role in every major advance in the fight against breast cancer, transforming how the world talks about and treats this disease. The Western New York affiliate covers eight local counties and has raised over $2.5 million in the fight against breast cancer. Out of all money raised, 75 percent stays in Western New York and helps fund community outreach programs to improve access to breast healthcare, education and support for survivors; the other 25 percent goes to Susan G. Komen for the Cure National Research Grant Awards.
In Komen for the Cure’s 30-year history, detection and treatment of breast cancer has improved immensely. In 1982, the five-year survival rate for breast cancer, if caught before it spread, was 74 percent; today, that rate is 98 percent. More women are receiving regular mammograms – the single-most effective tool for detecting breast cancer early – and the U.S. government is now devoting over $900 million each year to breast cancer research.
Charitable and non-profit organizations are hurting, losing donations and government-provided funding due to the economy. The 96.1 Joy FM staff passed the hat around the office and each selected a charity we think deserves the $1,000 we have to give away. Cast your vote for your favorite charity between midnight on Monday, July 9, and midnight on Monday, July 23. Joe, Cheryl and Keith will announce the winner that morning on Buffalo’s Morning Show.